Summer is officially here! Which means it is officially grilling season. There are also probably several social events or fun gatherings with close friends and family being planned. We are also getting ready to celebrate the precious gift of freedom we have been given by living in this great country. Food is a common ground that brings friends and family together to fellowship; however it is easy to get stuck in a rut with preparing the same old dishes. This month we are focusing on healthy recipes to prepare for your friends and family this summer that everyone is sure to love.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 5 mins
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 6 to 8 side servings
- 2 pounds small new potatoes, scrubbed and sliced into 1/4-inch thick rounds
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup lightly packed fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped green onions, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven combine sliced potatoes and salt. Cover with water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low and cook until potatoes are easily pierced by a paring knife and pulled out with little resistance, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Reserve 1/4 cup cooking water, then drain. Transfer potatoes to a large mixing bowl.
- In a small food processor or blender, combine the olive oil, 1/3 cup parsley, 1/3 cup green onions, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, garlic and freshly ground black pepper. Process until the herbs and garlic have been chopped into little pieces, then drizzle in the reserved cooking water and blend just until emulsified. (If you don’t have a food processor or blender, just finely chop the parsley and onions and whisk the dressing together until emulsified.)
- Drizzle the potatoes with the herbed olive oil mixture and mix well. (It will look like you’ve poured in too much dressing, but don’t worry, the potatoes will soak it up!) Let the potatoes rest for ten minutes, tossing every few minutes.
- Add the celery to the bowl, along with a couple tablespoons each of chopped parsley and green onions. Toss again. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate until you’re ready to serve. This salad is best served within a few hours, but will keep well in the refrigerator for about two days.
*Author: Cookie and Kate, Recipe found on Pinterest*
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 16 oz. boneless skinless chicken breast, chopped into squares (3 medium breasts)
- 3 large bell peppers, chopped into squares (any color)
- 1 medium purple onion, chopped into squares
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- Preheat grill or oven to 400ºF.
- Prepare veggies by slicing into squares. Transfer into a gallon-sized bag and add a tablespoon of olive oil. Shake.
- Prepare chicken breast by slicing into squares (make sure they’re all around the same size) and transfer into another gallon-sized bag.
- In a small bowl, mix together all of the spices to create your rub.
- Add half of the spice mixture to the vegetables and the other half to the chicken. Shake well and let sit for 10 minutes (place chicken in the fridge).
- Place peppers, onion, and chicken onto skewers (alternating between the three). Repeat.
- Lay a piece of tin foil onto the grill and spray with cooking spray.
- Set kebabs on top of tin foil and grill for around 15 minutes rotating kebabs every five minutes.
- Remove from heat and squeeze on lime juice and sprinkle on fresh cilantro.
*Author: Linley Richter, Recipe found on Pinterest*
* Author: Melissa Huggins, Recipe found on Pinterest*
Prep Time: 20 min
Total Time: 20 min
- 2 15 oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2-3 avocados , seeded and cubed. (*see note)
- 2 cups corn , fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes , halved
- 1/2 cup red onion , diced
- 1/3 cup cilantro , rough chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice , more if desired
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoons pure maple syrup or agave (or any sweetener)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro , finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- fresh ground pepper , to taste
- Place all the veggies in a large bowl (except the avocado) and toss to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk the lime juice, olive oil, maple syrup, cilantro, chili powder, garlic powder, ground pepper and salt.
- Pour dressing over veggies and toss to combine. Now add avocado and toss gently so they don’t mash together. Taste for salt and pepper, add as needed.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for 30 minutes. Serve with fresh pita bread, tortilla chips or a side of rice. Enjoy!
* Avocados that are just-ripe work the best, otherwise they will get mushy in your salad.
* If you’re making the salad ahead of time, you may want to add the avocados & tomatoes just before serving. This will keep the salad fresh tasting.
* For extra heat, add 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper to the dressing.
* Author: Melissa Huggins, Recipe found on Pinterest*
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yields: 4 servings
- 12 baby potatoes
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 20 peeled and deveined raw shrimp, tails left on
- ½ cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Place potatoes in microwave-safe container. Cover and microwave on High until just tender when pierced with a fork, 3 to 3 ½ minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine oil, cilantro, curry powder, garlic, and salt in a bowl. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the mixture in a small bowl. Add shrimp and the potatoes to the large bowl; toss to coat. Thread the shrimp and potatoes onto four 12 inch skewers.
- Grill the kebabs, turning once, until the shrimp are pink and the potatoes are browned, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Stir yogurt and lime juice into the small bowl of reserved sauce. Serve each kebab with 2 tablespoons sauce
*Recipe from Eatingwell.com*