Our immune systems are constantly at work. There are certain foods that serve as “fuel” for our immune system to help it work at its best. Many health food stores sell juice drinks, however these tend to be fairly expensive. This month we are going to list out a few recipes so you can make these immunity boosting drinks at home.
Apple, Carrot, and Orange
- 2 large organic carrots tops trimmed
- 1 organic Granny Smith apple cut into quarters
- 1 Naval orange quartered and peeled
- Special equipment: Juicer
- 1. Place the ingredients into the juicer according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- Drink or place in a tightly sealed glass container and refrigerate immediately. Keeps for about two days. Makes two 8 ounce servings
Kale, Tomato, and Celery
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (5 ounces) fresh tomato juice (from about 2 pints grape or cherry tomatoes, see note)
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) fresh kale juice (from about 1/2 pound kale)
- 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) fresh celery juice (from 4 ribs celery)
- 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) juice from 2 lemons
- Dash hot sauce
- Garnish: celery rib
1. Mix horseradish and soy sauce in a glass. Add tomato juice and stir well until horseradish is well distributed. Add kale juice, celery juice, lemon juice, and hot sauce. Stir well. Serve with celery rib garnish, over ice if desired. Makes 2 servings.
Beet, Carrot, Turmeric, and Ginger
- 1 medium beet, peeled and chopped
- 3 medium carrots, well scrubbed and chopped
- 1 medium blood orange (or any juice orange), rind, pith and seeds removed
- ½ a lemon, rind, pith and seeds removed
- 2 inch piece/10g turmeric root
- 1 inch piece/10g fresh ginger
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Pass all the ingredients up through the cayenne pepper through a juicer.
- Stir in a pinch of cayenne pepper and a pinch of black pepper and serve immediately over ice.
Strawberry and Mango
- 1 mango,(peeled, pitted and chopped if using fresh)
- ½ cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 10 strawberries, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Ice cubes
- Sparkling water (if you are combining layers)
- Mint to garnish
- In a blender, puree strawberries, 1 tbs lime juice, and ice cubes, until smooth and divide amongst glasses.
- If planning on combining the layers pour in a dash of sparkling water.
- Rinse blender then puree the mango, orange juice, 1 tbs lime juice, honey, and ice cubes, until smooth and gently pour into glasses while trying to maintain a line separating the layers.
**Information including recipes from Healthline.com**